Tuesday 29 May 2012

Red Shoes at Carsington

After many weeks without serious time spent with camera, a visit to Carsington brought some very welcome creativity in late March.


I had made a conscious decision on New Year's Day not to blog daily. This was a way of taking the pressure off after a very busy autumn term and being rather ill over the Christmas break. I also decided not to continue entering every competition at my photographic club, having worked hard to do so during 2011 and placed high enough up to be pleased with my results by the end of the year.

One of the best ways to stretch and challenge yourself as a photographer is to have a project.

Shooting for competitions with a theme is also a way of taking yourself out of your comfort zone, making you try new techniques and such. Suddenly, I had no impetus to shoot, and spent most of January buried under accounts and taxes!


In early March I took part in a small informal photo walk in Derby with a theme, I took Jodie along too as she had a new camera for Christmas. Although we only spent about an hour and a half because it was unexpectedly cold, I thoroughly enjoyed being out with fellow enthusiasts putting my creativity to use again. Jodie got some great shots.

It is clear to me, even moreso now I have begun to post blog entries again after a long gap, that creating and sharing images is important in my life.


The following quote has been part of my email signature for some time.


"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."

 ~ Richard Avedon


The blog is revived.
And so are my spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jodie and Blue

Jodie has been riding since she was 7, over half her life. Just. Ownership is costly, but she's learning life skills and life lessons...