Saturday 1 January 2011

# 1: Fruit Cake

The fruit cake is immaterial really, but I couldn't think of a better title. This isn't just a shot of some fruit cake, the knife is a special one. It's older than me and my Mum uses it every single day. We visited Mum today for a while, had some tea and fruit cake. One of my brothers joined us there with his wife.

Now that Jodie's hair is long enough to plait, I had told her the story of my Mum's plaits being kept upstairs in a drawer all wrapped up.


So I fetched them to show Jodie. My Mum used to wear her hair in two plaits wrapped round in the Scandinavian style. When my brother Roland was a baby her hair fell out in handfuls - it was normal, but being so very long, it was a pain, and her doctor advised cutting her hair short. So the hairdresser cut off her beautiful plaits, then styled her hair very short. And that was the last time Mum had her hair cut, in 1958. The plaits are in perfect condition, though the rubber bands have perished, it's beautifully soft and shiny.


My sister-in-law was wearing some beautiful shoes on her very petite feet...


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Love you guys ... wish I had been able to come today.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'Fruit Cake' is a spot-on title but then I'm not really referring to the cake at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a great 365 Nicky! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way anonymous is me Janet - sorted!

    ReplyDelete

Jodie and Blue

Jodie has been riding since she was 7, over half her life. Just. Ownership is costly, but she's learning life skills and life lessons...